At SPAN, we believe that powering homes with clean energy should be a simple and delightful experience that is technology-forward and human-centered.
SPAN is advancing clean energy adoption with innovative hardware that replaces the electrical panel and becomes the home's center for connected power. It’s easier and faster to install, and it completely transforms the customer experience with intuitive energy controls and customizable backup power.
SPAN develops products that accelerate the rapid adoption of renewable energy in the home. The flagship SPAN Smart Panel is the first true evolution for the traditional home electric panel, harnessing enhanced technology for metering, monitoring, and control. An expanded product suite of intelligent, integrated solutions radically lowers the cost and complexity of energy upgrades–including solar, batteries and EVs–empowering homeowners to be active, resilient and informed players in the energy market.
We are looking for a passionate Technical Program Manager for SPAN’s Software Engineering organization to drive software releases across our Cloud, Mobile, and Device Software engineering teams. The Software Engineering organization is responsible for developing all of the software of the SPAN platform, including the mobile experiences on iOS and Android, web applications, backend APIs, data pipeline, and firmware code that runs on SPAN hardware devices. In this role, you will also work closely with our product managers and designers to specify and prioritize new features and ongoing development work, as well as with our hardware team to manage software releases alongside upcoming hardware products. You will develop and own program schedules from discovery and design to final release, partnering effectively with multiple technology teams, and managing deliverables for critical milestones. This will involve allocating work, highlighting resource needs, finding efficiency improvements, and communicating timeline changes across the organization including executive staff.
In this role, you will:
- Define and drive product development and release schedules to meet the company’s business goals across mobile, cloud, and firmware components of our platform
- Collaborate and communicate with cross-functional teams across software, hardware, product, design, QA, and business
- Anticipate risks throughout the development of products and services, develop mitigation plans, and keep organization updated on release dates
- Work with product management to negotiate schedule/cost/feature tradeoffs as well as prioritize development efforts
- Monitor and report on project status in pursuit of releasing new products and features on time and with high quality
- Assist in the prioritization of bug fixes and elimination of technical debt throughout continued product development
We are seeking a technical program manager who has:
- 5+ years of experience in technical project management of cloud services, mobile, and/or embedded device software development
- Experience tracking dates and requirements in a complex environment involving multiple products, platforms, and technologies
- Experience working with software engineering teams on highly technical projects, and a track record of shipping releases on time
- High level of comfort with ambiguity and fast-paced environments
- JIRA, Confluence, Atlassian experience
- Ability to step outside their comfort zone and wear a multitude of hats as they help throughout the organization
- Ability to influence and align efforts of disparate groups to achieve a common goal
We would love to hire someone who has:
- Prior experience in smart home, IoT, or renewable energy (solar and battery energy storage)
- Prior experience partnering with hardware teams to coordinate software schedules and manage software projects alongside associated hardware product development
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions and recommendations
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- BS technical degree or equivalent
Life at SPAN
SPAN offers a unique opportunity at a startup based in the SOMA neighborhood of San Francisco. We are a small, diverse team of creative thinkers. We value open communication, teamwork, and a make-it-happen attitude - no job is too big or too small. We strive to make change by imagining what the future could be and building a product to complete that vision. We are looking to grow our team with talented people who are on the same mission to shape the future of energy.
Working at SPAN, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation and early equity at a well-funded, fast-growing, venture-backed company (read more on why Amazon and others invested in SPAN here and here)
- A sunny 20,000 sq ft hardware lab + office space in SOMA, a stone’s throw from Caltrain and close to BART
- Flexible hours and vacation time - we simultaneously work hard and make space for the important stuff
- Additional Span holidays in celebration of causes we believe in (this year so far we provided days off in celebration of Black History in Feb, Women’s History in March, Earth Day in April and Gay Pride & Juneteenth in June)
- Comprehensive benefits including a choice of medical plans; dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Diversity - we are serious about this. Span embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.