We use nature’s own technology to make fruits and vegetables last longer in order to drastically reduce food waste—from farmer to grocer to kitchen tables around the world.
JOIN OUR TEAM. Check out http://www.apeel.com/jobs for career opportunities. You’ll join a group of committed, passionate individuals who are excited about the opportunity to build and implement new technologies with a global reach.
INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES. We hire undergraduate and graduate-level students with backgrounds in Chemistry, Biology, Engineering, Materials, Computer Science, Math, Statistics, and related fields.
Apeel's investors include Andreessen Horowitz, DBL Partners, Upfront Ventures, S2G Ventures, Powerplant Ventures, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and The Rockefeller Foundation. Visit us at apeel.com to learn more.
At Apeel, we look to nature to help the global food system extend quality, prevent waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet.
We believe that our most essential ingredient in our recipe for success is our people. We strive to cultivate an environment where everyone is welcomed, and can bring their full, authentic selves into everything they do at Apeel. Humility, Ingenuity, Leadership and Teamwork are the values that define us and how we work with each other, customers, and communities across the globe.
Full vaccination against COVID-19 required, unless you qualify for a federally protected exemption. (always include if US based)
About This Role
Apeel Sciences is seeking a motivated and resourceful Quality Control Manager to advance our Quality Control operations supporting the development, manufacturing, and production of Apeel products. You will manage the Quality Control team - leading efforts for the testing of raw materials, WIP and finished products using validated methods, while ensuring documentation accuracy, integrity and traceability is maintained for the analysis of samples generated at various stages in the process. You will also lead continuous improvement for current methods which involve a variety of chromatographic and spectroscopic techniques. As the manufacturing process evolves, you will provide analytical support, which will include leading a team in non-routine analysis and identification of unknowns. You will also be responsible for development of analytical lab quality standards per good laboratory practices.
This position is based at our headquarters in Santa Barbara, CA, and will report to our Director of Regulatory Compliance & Quality Assurance. We are looking for you to join us immediately.
What You’ll Do
- Function as a player and coach on the Quality Control team. You will be responsible for aspects of both executing and overseeing Quality Control operations.
- Interface with cross-functional teams and serve as a resource for project teams and external audits by regulatory agencies or other third parties.
- Oversee Quality Control operations while incorporating best practices and a culture of continuous improvement.
- Ensure that analytical methods for specifications to release finished products have gone through appropriate methods developments and validations.
- Develop and encourage the career development of the Quality Control team and foster cross-functional collaboration for sample analysis and test results.
- Maintain all quality control records and lab notebooks; review and approve Quality Control documents including but not limited to: specifications, procedures, work instructions, reports, etc.
- Manage and improve a laboratory sampling, sample retention, and testing program for raw materials, work in progress (WIP), and finished products at the facility.
- Ensure the interpretation, reporting of data, and maintenance of records are documented and effectively implemented. Including the use of statistical analysis and Statistical Process Control where appropriate.
- Oversee the calibration of analytical instruments, the use of analytical reference standards, and the maintenance of the equipment are established and followed.
What You Bring
- Degree in Analytical Chemistry and 3+ years of analytical laboratory experience in a Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) environment
- Understanding of analytical laboratory practices, instrumentation, testing, failure investigation of nonconforming product and problem resolution/ troubleshooting of methods and analytical instrumentations.
- Knowledge of Current Good Manufacturing Practices, Good Laboratory Practices (GLP,) Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS), and Quality Management System (QMS).
- Results Orientated - you put top priority on getting quality results and empower your teams to do the same.
- Planning and prioritization: You will ensure all lab tasks and activities are planned, prioritized with teams towards meeting manufacturing and customer service needs.
- Possess the ability to understand Statistic and Process Control tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to interact with stakeholders of all levels.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to change and to operate effectively in ambiguous situations is required.
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.