Plenty is a new kind of farm for a new kind of world. We’re on a mission to bring healthy food to the world while protecting the environment. Our pesticide-free, non-GMO leafy greens taste fresh-picked from the garden because they were. We grow and deliver locally, cutting transportation miles and reducing emissions. Plenty’s indoor farms mean fresh produce is always in season.
We are a team of growers, plant scientists, engineers, artists, foodies and plant romantics working to improve the lives of plants, people, and the planet. We currently operate in South San Francisco, CA, and Laramie, WY. Our new Compton, CA site set to open in 2021 will be the world’s first, high-capacity indoor vertical farm.
Plenty believes food justice is social justice. Equal access to healthy, nutritious food is fundamental to a quality life. We build farms in communities that need better access to food and jobs. Plenty provides living-wage, year-round jobs along with flavorful, nutrient-rich food to the communities we serve. We use automation and robotics so machines do the backbreaking labor while people perform new kinds of skilled agricultural, science and high-tech jobs.
Now is the time to help Plenty achieve its mission to feed the world healthy food in a sustainable way. We are a start-up with expanding career growth opportunities.
We are actively seeking those who embody our core values: find a way, down to earth, & grow together. These values guide how we work together as teammates, approach innovation and engage with customers. Does this sound like you? Join the mission as we improve human and planetary health by increasing access to craveable fruits and vegetables.
We are on a mission to grow plenty of fresh food for everyone, everywhere. We are building the world’s largest, most technologically advanced, indoor vertical farms. Using a fraction of the land and water outdoor farms need, our farms are designed to secure our food future.
Our people and teams are how we make our mission possible. We are passionate about our contributions to Plenty, the communities around us and our planet, but never take ourselves too seriously. We’re down to earth, we grow together, and we always find a way. Join us as we rewrite the rules of agriculture, and we’ll bet our berries you’ll be rewarded with innovative and collaborative teammates, a supportive environment, diverse career opportunities and meaningful work.
Plenty is looking for a Staff Electrical Design Engineer to join our Devices Engineering team. The Devices Engineering team designs, specifies, and integrates medium to high production volume, industry leading electromechanical products for our farm - lighting systems, environmental sensors, and perception hardware as examples. We focus on energy efficiency, cost efficiency, and reliability while simultaneously enhancing our produce’s flavor and nutrition at the lowest cost to our customers. You will join a team of engineers to tackle problems that reimagine the way humanity grows food. Doing so requires us to reimagine farms as highly integrated and aggressively optimized engineered systems, drawing upon experience and strategies from high-volume product design.
You will be responsible for specifying, benchmarking, and vetting off-the-shelf products that may meet our needs while also driving in-house innovation when necessary to meet our future ambitious cost and performance targets. This role will also support our existing proprietary systems currently deployed in our production farms. The Devices team at Plenty is small, and as such this role will be fast-paced and hands-on and those with a broad set of skills will be most successful. You will work with cross discipline teams, including Electrical, Mechanical, Thermal, and Plant Science members to understand specifications, develop designs, and control and communication circuitry to reach operational metrics for our farms.
- Collaborate across the organization to develop requirements and specifications for advanced environment sensing, lighting, and control systems.
- Evaluate and select lights and sensors from a variety of suppliers to reach performance, cost, and lifetime requirements.
- Collaborate cross functionally to select and/or develop circuitry and systems from concept through deployment in production spaces.
- Collaborate with firmware engineers working in C to meet functional requirements for your products
- Document designs for mass production including test specifications, installation instructions, and troubleshooting documentation.
- Validate designs meet requirements through a combination of calculation, simulation, and testing and document results.
- Perform diagnosis, repair and failure analysis of issues with existing and new equipment and control systems in production and research environments.
- Guide designs through the regulatory compliance process both in the US and internationally.
- Travel to support field installations (anticipate less than 10% travel)
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, computer engineering, computer science or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience in consumer electronics/embedded systems design.
- Experience in PCB bring-up and debugging, functional verification or manufacturing support.
- Experience working with high voltage, automated testing, Altium Schematic and PCB design, Spice simulation, and Python programming or similar systems.
- Experience developing C/C++ embedded code for multiple different types of MCU's (Microcontroller Units).
- Deep understanding of digital serial interfaces such as SPI, I2C, UART, and RS485 in both hardware and software. Experience or eagerness to work with wireless protocols.
- Experience with obtaining safety, or other regulatory approvals on mass produced products.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills backed by strong analytical skills
- Experience using common lab tools for bring-up and diagnosis like oscilloscopes, meters and power supplies.
Full-Time / Hybrid
What we can offer
Compensation; we’ll pay you a competitive salary, give you a stake in the company via equity and contribute toward your 401K
Health & well-being; we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits, in-office gyms, and an Employee Assistance Program to help with mental health, financial & legal matters
Food; in-office lunches, snacks and access to our leafy greens & new produce in development -- are you up for a side gig as a taste tester?
Grow together; learning & development opportunities including unlimited access to our Upstart University platform, LinkedIn Learning, lunch & learns, training certifications, and more
Equipment; we’ll provide you with the equipment you need to be successful, including $75/month toward your phone bill and $250 every 2 years to upgrade your phone
Paid time off; we know you’ll do your best if you’re taking time to recharge, so we don’t cap the amount of days you can take off per year in addition to the paid holidays we observe
Parental leave; 12 weeks off for all new parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition
Food & Safety Requirements
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations
- Ensure equipment design is of a material suitable for food safety and designed in a way that is smooth and easily cleanable
- All applicants must be 18 years or older to apply