By growing meat directly from animal cells we're making future-friendly, real meat that makes you and the world smile. We stand for all of the good, and none of the bad. UPSIDE Foods is making our favorite food a force for good.
At the forefront of farming and food, UPSIDE Foods is innovating new ways to produce real meat, without the need to breed, feed and slaughter animals. Our process begins with an animal cell, which is cultivated and harvested as meat. The founding company of the industry, UPSIDE Foods is a mission-driven organization focused on bringing to meat lovers an authentic product that is truly humane, sustainably produced, nutritious and delicious! We are now expanding our team of dedicated professionals across disciplines to make better meat for a better world.
About this job
UPSIDE has grown fast over the last two years, and the momentum continues! The Scientist/Engineer II, MSAT will support the scale-up of novel platforms for the cultivation of cell-based meat, be responsible for supporting pilot and large-scale production operations, and lead process transfer to commercial scale. We are searching for a person with both scientific and operational expertise between pilot operations and cGMP manufacturing scales and who is excited to lead the implementation of new processes and novel technologies. We are excited to bring on a self-starter who finds as much joy in the laboratory as they do at the desk to be part of our growing team.
- Drive and manage pilot and bench scale production runs in collaboration with process development and manufacturing leading into technology transfer activities and execution of production runs including person-in-plan support.
- Independently design, review, execute, and analyze experiments ranging from bench through pilot scale, leading to process transfer to commercial scale and manufacturing support.
- Lead and mentor team members to accomplish project goals.
- Participate in new process development, including selection, installation and evaluation of new bioreactor technologies and development of operating procedures.
- Support impact assessments, risk assessments and investigations including root cause analysis utilizing industry best practices in collaboration with manufacturing operations and Quality.
- Support regulatory filings and facility startup as needed.
- A total of 8+ years of experience in cell culture bioprocess development and process transfer across size scales with an advanced degree in cell biology, molecular biology, bioengineering, chemical engineering or related life sciences field combined with equivalent relevant industrial experience (BS+8 years, MS +6 years, PhD +3 years)
- Experienced with scale-up/scale-down of bioreactors, process transfer to production and with cGMP operations or pilot plant operations is helpful.
- Strong experience with statistically driven design of experiments and data driven strategy and with presenting in front of large groups consisting of peers and/or management.
- Detail-oriented, well-organized, excellent critical thinker who is comfortable with change and the absence of certainty.
- Ability to relate with people at all levels within an organization, including diverse cultures.
- Must be willing and able to work evenings and weekends when needed.
Who you’ll work with…
- The MSAT team interfaces with all aspects of R&D and Manufacturing, and this person will accordingly be expected to work with stakeholders across the organization to design studies, and manage handoffs of materials and data. To support tech transfer and manufacturing operations, this person will be expected to prepare process documentation, transfer processes into manufacturing, and provide on the floor support.
Key Contributions in First Year…
- A dedicated pilot scale suspension production function, which offloads production for F&P prototyping efforts off of the PD teams and enables PD teams to focus on process development.
- Add additional skill in large scale bioprocess operations necessary for pilot scale operations.
- Additional technology transfer experience to enable efficient transfers
Dedicated manufacturing support and a function to test most current processes at pilot scales prior to technology transfer to commercial scales.
- Stock options for all full-time incoming team members!
- 90-100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for team members (medical [including HSA and FSA], dental, and vision)
- Pet insurance for your furry family members!
- Unlimited PTO
- DE&I (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Council and People Engagement Programs
- Company-sponsored learning & development opportunities
UPSIDE Foods is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Our company-wide mission is to create a product for everyone, so we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.