Archer is an aerospace company building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft focused on improving mobility in cities. The company's mission is to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. Archer is designing, manufacturing, and operating a fully electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150mph while producing minimal noise. Archer's team is based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Archer is an aerospace company based in San Jose, California building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft with a mission to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. We are designing, manufacturing, and operating an all-electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150 mph while producing minimal noise.
Our sights are set high and our problems are hard, and we believe that diversity in the workplace is what makes us smarter, drives better insights, and will ultimately lift us all to success. We are dedicated to cultivating an equitable and inclusive environment that embraces our differences, and supports and celebrates all of our team members.
What You’ll Do
- Design mechanical components of the energy and power dense ESS powering Archer’s FAA type certified eVTOL airtaxi
- Develop designs meeting required mechanical, electrical, and thermal specifications unique to a lithium ion battery system
- Utilize light weight materials and clever packaging solutions to reduce weight
- Perform hand calculations of designs followed by optimization in FEA software packages
- Build and test your own designs to ensure first articles meet functional requirements
- Work with the test and integration teams to ensure performance requirements are met at both the bench and aircraft levels
- Participate in design reviews to ensure cross functional alignment and solicit feedback
What You Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, or a related field
- 3-5+ years of high voltage battery design experience
- Demonstrated experience designing components for high voltage applications
- Working knowledge of GD&T and heat transfer
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage component suppliers
- Experience with design of parts requiring joining techniques including wire bonding, laser bonding, structural adhesives, rivets, bolted joints, laser, or CMT welding
- Experience designing bus bars for high current-carrying applications
- Experience integrating printed circuit board assemblies in mechanical designs
- Knowledge of part design for forming processes such as: extrusions, stamping, machining, injection molding, and die casting
- Strong materials knowledge. Good understanding of different materials/grades and their tradeoffs, as well as dielectric coatings and platings.
- Hands on experience building prototypes and performing component level tests
- Strong CAD skills (NX preferred) including the ability to generate your own drawings
- Demonstrated experience in developing product from start to finish
- Knowledge of FAA aircraft certification requirements for Part 23 aircraft
- Experience with DO-160G, DO-311A aerospace standards
- Experience with UN38.3, IEC, ISO, and UL electrification standards
- ANSYS Mechanical
- Shock & vibration testing experience
- Thermal runaway testing experience
At Archer we aim to attract, retain, and motivate talent that possess the skills and leadership necessary to grow our business. We drive a pay-for-performance culture and reward performance that supports the Company’s business strategy. For this position we are targeting a base pay between $134,000 - $168,000. Actual compensation offered will be determined by factors such as job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Archer is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with physical or mental disabilities, and those with sincerely held religious beliefs. Applicants who may require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should provide their name and contact information to Archer’s People Team at [email protected]. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Archer is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of merit, qualifications, and business needs. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.