Rachio helps homeowners keep their lawns vibrant, while decreasing their water footprint. Rachio provides a smart sprinkler controller that brings the smart home outdoors and allows users to manage their sprinkler system from any mobile device. Driven by intelligent, cloud‐based software, Rachio analyzes recent and upcoming weather, humidity levels, personal soil types and lawn conditions, to adapt to each individual yard.
Rachio is a mission-based startup advancing the smart home outside, through conservation and connection. A category leader within the smart home industry, Rachio creates innovative technology and solutions that enliven the outside space of any home through exceptional products, data-driven personalized recommendations, and an unmatched user experience. Together, the Rachio community has saved *60 billion* gallons of water - and counting.
About This Opportunity
Rachio is an established tech leader in the smart irrigation space and we are rapidly expanding our offering of smart outdoor products. As the Senior Hardware Engineer, you will report to the Principal Hardware Engineer and join a company of dedicated and experienced individuals who are passionate about bringing high quality products to market. You will participate in the development of new electronics hardware, the sustaining of current electronics, and the evaluation of potential partner products. Our Hardware team works closely with the Product Development team and Software Engineering team to take products from conception to commercialization. As a Senior Hardware Engineer, you’ll get the opportunity to expand your skill set working closely with multiple areas of the business while also receiving the support and resources necessary to grow your career.
What You’ll Do
- Plan, develop and implement firmware
- Test firmware releases
- Maintain stable firmware
- Write and maintain firmware documentation
- Provide technical support and training to the firmware development team
- Gather and analyze requirements from customers
- Work closely with customers to resolve issues
- Perform unit and integration testing
- Adhere to software specifications
- Maintain standards compliance
- Conduct software requirements analysis, software risk analysis, & software performance analysis
- Coding: Write coding for new products and maintain and modify code for existing products using embedded C programming
What Makes You A Great Fit
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other related field of study
- At least 4 years programming with embedded C (C++ experience a plus)
- At least 4 years experience programming, debugging and optimizing code for embedded microcontrollers (ARM Cortex, Nordic nRF, and Espressif experience a plus)
- Embedded Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS) - primitives (semaphore, mutex), scheduling techniques, user/kernel space
- Experience with Bare Metal Microcontroller
- Experience or understanding of all aspects of circuit board design
- Schematic design and PCB layout, preferably in Altium Designer
- Ability to understand read and interpret datasheets in order to make part selections
- Basic protocols - I2C, SPI, UART, etc.
- Experience developing firmware design specifications and system/unit tests
- Experience working with Make, CMake, and GCC tools
- Experience automating manufacturing test with Python and/or Labview
- Ability to analyze electronics schematics and understand circuit functionality
- Ability to debug electronic hardware using an oscilloscope, DMM and logic analyzer
- Experience with wireless protocols (Wifi, BLE)
- Ability to understand hardware requirements
- Ability to develop and execute hardware test plans
- Obsessive about quality and correctness
- Self-starter with the ability to dig into problems
- The salary range for this role is $120,000 - $155,000 with a bonus structure based on individual & company performance
- Stock options
- This is a remote position
- You must be legally authorized to work in the US
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance -- premiums are 100% paid for employees and 60% paid for dependents, based on company sponsored plans.
- Employer paid Basic Life and AD&D insurance
- Optional benefits include: short term disability & long term disability, pet insurance, and more!
Time Off: Unlimited PTO, 10 paid sick days per year, Empathy Leave, and paid Parental Leave
Retirement: 401(k) plan with a company match
Paid Travel: Rachio is a remote company, headquartered in Denver, CO. We host company events with paid travel to & from Denver
Professional Development: Employees receive an annual stipend to put towards furthering their education and career growth
Work From Home: Employees receive a monthly stipend to put towards enhancing their remote work experience
Relaxed dress code: Wear what makes you feel most comfortable working at Rachio
Start with Empathy: We listen with the intent to understand, not simply to respond. We assume positive intent, and remember that at the end of the day we are all human and on the same team.
Fail Strategically: We view the unknown as an opportunity to learn and therefore grow. We encourage and support each other in taking risks and testing the status quo. We bias towards action, look for early feedback, and take the time to openly share learnings with the team.
Participate & Commit: We believe that the best decisions are made when we show up fully. We challenge assumptions, discuss the data, and ask the hard questions. Decision-makers protect the time to collaboratively explore and welcome wild and unconventional ideas. In the end, everyone may not agree with the final decision, but they feel heard and are committed to the path forward.
Delight to Sustain: We believe that our customers don't have to compromise to be sustainable. Our first priority is to provide a delightful experience that adds value to their lives while creating a better future for our planet.
How to Apply
- Please apply via our careers page
- A cover letter is required
Studies show that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs if they don’t meet every listed qualification. Here at Rachio, we care about your ability to get the job done more than how you gained your experience. If you are hesitant to apply but feel you can excel in the role with your experience, we want to see your application!
We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.