Square Roots is a leader in urban indoor farming. Its scalable farm-tech platform brings fresh, healthy food to urban areas year-round, while simultaneously training future generations of farmers. The company was founded in 2016 by serial entrepreneurs Tobias Peggs and Kimbal Musk (WEF Social Entrepreneur of The Year 2017) and is headquartered in New York City.
About Square Roots
Square Roots is the technology leader in urban indoor farming. Its mission is to bring local, fresh, real food to people in cities around the world - setting new standards for transparency and responsibility while empowering the next generation of leaders in agriculture.
Founded by serial entrepreneurs, Kimbal Musk and Tobias Peggs, its range of fresh produce is available in more than 200 retail locations around the country including Whole Foods Market, Fresh Thyme Market, SpartanNash, and FreshDirect. Square Roots’ strategic partnership with Gordon Food Service reinforces a larger shared ambition to build commercial scale, climate controlled indoor farms together across the continent - enabling local food at a global scale, year round. For more information, please visit www.squarerootsgrow.com.
About the Role
The Retail Sales and Execution Specialist will support Square Roots revenue goals through independent store acquisition, merchandising stores, and maintaining strong customer relationships in store as the “feet on the street” for our centralized sales team.
This role will be part of the sales organization and collaborate closely with other sales, operations, and central team members, regularly sharing information and escalating issues to the appropriate customer relationship manager, operations, and leadership team members, if needed. The Retail Sales and Execution Specialist will eventually report to the Sr Customer Business Manager when hired.
- Advance the acquisition, development, and sales growth for independent retailers of a given campus.
- Develop and maintain relationships in store by building rapport and communicating effectively with produce managers and store owners to drive orders and store expansion, support the feedback loop between sales/operations/farming, and ensure superior customer service.
- Be responsible for merchandising stores of existing and newly activated customers of a given campus. Retail detail includes remedy void and tag issues, new item cut-ins, and checking date codes.
- Monitor in store when issues arise relating to orders, deliveries, and out of stocks, sharing feedback with operations team members of a given campus to quickly resolve.
- "Coordinate with merchandising partners of a given campus (i.e. Dirty Hands), if applicable, to fulfill POS assets/collateral requests and avoid overlap in merchandising efforts to maximize store coverage for Square Roots.
- "Maintain continual awareness of the competitive environment by visiting stores regularly and sharing observations with sales and marketing team members
- Collaborate with marketing team members on retailer sell-in materials and in-store merchandising/POS needs, as well as support execution of local marketing efforts as needed (i.e. influencer sendouts).
You have experience with:
- Experience in merchandising preferred
- Experience in sales a plus
- You are extremely flexible and enjoy a "high-change" environment where priorities can shift from day to day.
- Able to address retailer specific requests/requirements in store
- Flexibility to successfully multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Dedicated to COVID safety in all internal and external interactions.
- Ability to manage time and deadlines.
- Driver's license / can pass a driving record check / has reliable vehicle
- Located in indianapolis area
- Passionate about real, local food
- A team player that likes to wear many hats.
- Ability to work independently while being a strong team player.
- A great listener who iterates quickly.
You'll love working at Square Roots because:
We're here to change the food system. You'll have the opportunity to play a significant role in our work at the intersection of technology, farming, and the global food industry - and we're only just getting started.
Our team is driven by a shared set of values. These keep us aligned and remind us how to show up every day in the face of growth and ambiguity. Whether you’re working remotely or on the farms, collaboration, respect, optimism and humility are all embraced, and we seek to empower people at every step. Ask us about the rest!
Benefits and perks, of course. We're all here first and foremost to play our part in the mission, but medical, dental, and vision coverage, flexible work life culture, and lots of samples of the delicious food we grow certainly do not hurt. :)