The world needs a clean and reliable source of base-load energy to develop sustainably into the future. That’s what Tokamak Energy is striving to achieve.
Tokamak Energy is a private company accelerating the development of fusion power.
Fusion – the energy source that powers the sun – is globally accepted as the best way to generate plentiful, safe, secure and clean energy. The tokamak is the most heavily researched and best understood of all the different paths to fusion.
It is now acknowledged that the spherical tokamak design offers the smallest and most cost-effective solution. This is our solution. Yet there are many complex engineering challenges that need to be overcome for demonstration and commercialisation of this technology.
Our team of world-class fusion scientists and magnet engineers is tackling these challenges to develop efficient and affordable fusion power. Our unique approach is centred on rapid innovation using the latest materials and technology – but building on decades of scientific research and experience. This strategy gives us – and the world – a faster way to fusion.
Once fusion electricity is achieved, our scalable technology could be rolled out across the world as a solution to one of humanity’s greatest challenges: clean and sustainable energy for all.
What if there was a limitless, safe, clean, low-cost energy source, providing much needed global energy security? What if that energy source could also help reduce climate change? We believe that’s fusion energy. Tokamak Energy is a leading global commercial fusion energy company based near Oxford, UK. We have an unrivalled track record designing and operating spherical tokamaks; the optimal route to commercial fusion energy.
In addition to fusion energy, Tokamak Energy is recognised as the leader in High Temperature Superconductor (HTS) magnet, design, numerical modelling, and prototyping. Our dedicated HTS magnet team, in collaboration with key manufacturing partners, is focussed on becoming the leading supplier of HTS magnets to multiple markets.
The company, founded in 2009 as a spin-off from the UK’s Culham Centre for Fusion Energy, currently employs a growing team of over 250 people with experts from the UK and around the world. It combines world leading scientific, engineering, industrial and commercial capabilities. The company has 70 families of patent applications and has raised $250 million, comprising $200m from private investors and $50m from the UK and US governments. Our US subsidiary, Tokamak Energy Inc, was established in 2019.
Come and be a part of a dynamic and innovative team who are striving to provide a solution to one of humanity’s greatest challenges: clean and sustainable energy for all.
Overview of the role
You will play a crucial role in processing pay and benefits information, ensuring accurate employee records, and supporting various People Team functions. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, possess payroll experience, and understand taxable benefits, we want you on our team.
Join us to make a difference in a diverse and inclusive workplace.
In this role, you will:
- Support the timely and accurate processing of pay and benefits data in respect of new starts, leavers, contractual changes, and all aspects of variable processing for pay such as overtime and other ad hoc adjustments in the HRIS and Payroll systems.
- Maintaining employee & payroll records with regard to a clear and transparent audit trail in respect of earnings, deductions, and benefits
- Support in the administration of pay adjustments for absence such including during sickness and parental leave.
- Support in the administration of benefits for pay & P11D purposes.
- Work with the People Advisors to ensure successful delivery of the of the monthly pay file, associated employee and third-party administration and post payroll reporting.
- Provide first line support in relation to queries from employees and Line Managers in respect of pay and benefits queries and escalating any queries as may be appropriate.
- Any other duties, in support of the People Team which lead to the effective administration of the employee life cycle.
- Thrive on being challenged and enjoy the experience of working in a small but thriving People team environment with experience of administering and supporting the employee lifecycle for pay and benefits.
- Have experience of end-to-end payroll processes
- Understand and have some experience of administering taxable benefits and administering P11Ds.
- Have an understanding of benefit schemes and the need to maintain accurate records and effective administration.
- CIPD qualification and general HR experience would be desirable.
- Demonstrate a proactive approach with forward planning and a systematic and organised way of working with strong attention to detail and process.
- Strong administrative and communications skills and be competent in using Excel.
- Have a clear understanding of the responsibilities associated with working with confidential information and of the need to maintain a clear and effective audit trail.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays and 3 festive days to be used between Christmas and the New Year).
- Company pension scheme.
- Company health care plan.
- Eligible for company share option scheme.
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance.
- A range of financial benefits including death in service and critical illness cover.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications, and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Initially office based, with a view to offer hybrid working after a settling in period. Our model sets out a minimum 60% onsite / 40% home working split.