Square Roots is a leader in urban indoor farming. Its scalable farm-tech platform brings fresh, healthy food to urban areas year-round, while simultaneously training future generations of farmers. The company was founded in 2016 by serial entrepreneurs Tobias Peggs and Kimbal Musk (WEF Social Entrepreneur of The Year 2017) and is headquartered in New York City.
About Square Roots
Square Roots is the technology leader in urban indoor farming. Its mission is to bring local, fresh, real food to people in cities around the world - setting new standards for transparency and responsibility while empowering the next generation of leaders in agriculture.
Founded by serial entrepreneurs, Kimbal Musk and Tobias Peggs, its range of fresh produce is available in more than 200 retail locations around the country including Whole Foods Market, Fresh Thyme Market, SpartanNash, and FreshDirect. Square Roots’ strategic partnership with Gordon Food Service reinforces a larger shared ambition to build commercial scale, climate controlled indoor farms together across the continent - enabling local food at a global scale, year round. For more information, please visit www.squarerootsgrow.com.
About the Role
We are looking for a hardworking, dedicated individual to join our farm team as a Production Associate. The Production Associate will be responsible for providing support for all production tasks, including seeding, transplanting, harvesting, packaging produce, labeling packaging, organizing and maintaining shared workspace areas, and cleaning / sanitizing production equipment. Tasks and responsibilities may vary across Square Roots campuses. This role reports directly to an Assistant Farm Manager and works in collaboration with the rest of the Farm Team and with our Sales & Logistics team.
This is a hands-on role requiring an individual that is willing to roll up their sleeves, comply with proper food safety practices, and maintain a positive attitude in the work environment. Past experience in the agriculture or food industries is a plus but not required. Compensation includes living-wage indexed hourly pay, a cell phone stipend, free herbs and greens, and the opportunity to be part of the Square Roots mission.
- Support production tasks, including seeding, transplant, and harvest
- Quickly and efficiently pack produce into Square Roots packaging for our retail customers
- Apply labels to Square Roots packaging for upcoming packing tasks
- Industrial cleaning/sanitation of the "production" facility and required production equipment. This includes but is not limited to, walls, floors, drains, dishwashing equipment, and Production equipment
- Perform production task prep and breakdown. This includes preparing tools for production events, plugging trays for seeding, moving inventory to different locations of the shared workspace, and putting tools back after tasks are completed.
- Support Facilities teams with maintenance projects as needed. This includes grow channel install / replacement and small repairs
- Support Delivery and Logistics teams with inventory organization and restocking
- Ensure labels and QR codes are accurate for packed produce
- Adhere to all Square Roots standards for quality, food safety, and compliance
- Communicate any issues with product or packaging quality with managers immediately
- Maintain and update accurate records for all packing and labeling tasks
- Submit risk assessment logs and maintenance event logs
You have experience with:
- 1-2 years general work experience; you know how to show up and get things done
- Working in a food production, grocery, or produce environment a plus
- Hands on experience and knowledge of good sanitation practices
- Food Handler's certification a plus
- Comfortable with repetitive tasks, standing for 6-8 hours, and able to lift 40lbs
- Available to work Sunday - Tuesday or Wednesday - Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm
- Passionate about real, local food
- Organized and detail oriented, able to see task through to completion, and finds satisfaction in a job well done
- A punctual, dedicated, and dependable team player with a positive attitude
- A proactive, clear communicator with managers and coworkers
You'll love working at Square Roots because:
We're here to change the food system. You'll have the opportunity to play a significant role in our work at the intersection of technology, farming, and the global food industry - and we're only just getting started.
Our team is driven by a shared set of values. These keep us aligned and remind us how to show up every day in the face of growth and ambiguity. Whether you’re working remotely or on the farms, collaboration, respect, optimism and humility are all embraced, and we seek to empower people at every step. Ask us about the rest!
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
New employees are required to be fully vaccinated prior to their start date. The definition of fully vaccinated includes a booster for those that are eligible.
You are considered fully vaccinated if:
- You have received a full series of the vaccine recently (meaning 2 doses within 5 months for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, or 1 dose within 2 months for Johnson and Johnson).
- You received your full series over 5 months ago for Pfizer and Moderna or over 2 months ago for Johnson and Johnson, and have also received a booster shot.
Proof of vaccination is required during the hiring process, and employees will be required to get booster shots as they become eligible to maintain their fully-vaccinated status.
As federal guidance on booster shots evolves, the definition of ‘fully vaccinated’ may change.
In accordance with EEOC guidance, if you are not vaccinated or do not intend to be due to medical reasons or deeply held religious beliefs, you may make an accommodation request and Square Roots will make a reasonable effort to accommodate you, subject to the requirements of the role you are applying for.
Failure to be fully vaccinated by start date without a documented accommodation will result in offer rescindment or termination.