Plenty is a new kind of farm for a new kind of world. We’re on a mission to bring healthy food to the world while protecting the environment. Our pesticide-free, non-GMO leafy greens taste fresh-picked from the garden because they were. We grow and deliver locally, cutting transportation miles and reducing emissions. Plenty’s indoor farms mean fresh produce is always in season.
We are a team of growers, plant scientists, engineers, artists, foodies and plant romantics working to improve the lives of plants, people, and the planet. We currently operate in South San Francisco, CA, and Laramie, WY. Our new Compton, CA site set to open in 2021 will be the world’s first, high-capacity indoor vertical farm.
Plenty believes food justice is social justice. Equal access to healthy, nutritious food is fundamental to a quality life. We build farms in communities that need better access to food and jobs. Plenty provides living-wage, year-round jobs along with flavorful, nutrient-rich food to the communities we serve. We use automation and robotics so machines do the backbreaking labor while people perform new kinds of skilled agricultural, science and high-tech jobs.
Now is the time to help Plenty achieve its mission to feed the world healthy food in a sustainable way. We are a start-up with expanding career growth opportunities.
We are actively seeking those who embody our core values: find a way, down to earth, & grow together. These values guide how we work together as teammates, approach innovation and engage with customers. Does this sound like you? Join the mission as we improve human and planetary health by increasing access to craveable fruits and vegetables.
Plenty is on a mission to make fresh, pesticide-free fruits and vegetables more accessible to everyone. Our cutting-edge indoor, vertical farms produce extraordinary yields using a fraction of the land and water outdoor farms need. Nutrient-rich, mouth-watering and locally grown, our crops help people, communities and our planet to be healthier and more resilient.
The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do this. We are a collaborative and innovative bunch. We are passionate about our contributions to Plenty, the communities around us and our planet, but never take ourselves too seriously. We’re down to Earth, we grow together, and we always find a way. Most importantly, we’re here to improve the lives of plants, people and our planet.
Plenty is looking for a Manufacturing Engineer to design and implement automation equipment and production processes in our farms. The Engineering Team at Plenty is on a mission to redesign the way humanity grows food. In order to satisfy the world’s nutritional needs, we make high quality produce available and accessible to everyone. Our goal requires us to reimagine traditional farming by drawing upon technologies and methodologies from high volume manufacturing. We are seeking a Manufacturing Engineer to design and implement automation equipment and production processes in our farms. In this role, you will work as part of a highly motivated, experienced, and creative team to build new kinds of farms--delivering the world the produce it needs now and into the future.
What you'll do
- Design, procure, and deploy manufacturing automation equipment with the support of in-house automation equipment designers and outside equipment integrators and suppliers
- Determine equipment and process requirements via cross functional relationships; define critical process control parameters and material traceability requirements
- Develop new production equipment and processes for our farms
- Ensure processes and equipment are designed for food safety via material selection, geometry review, and collaboration with Food Safety teams
- Design the layout of production workstations and assembly lines
- Author automation equipment specifications for both external vendors and in-house automation development teams, collaborating with both to deliver made-to-order and custom equipment
- Develop acceptance testing documentation for internally and externally built equipment
- Work with Controls Engineers and Software teams to integrate equipment to our customized data systems
- Perform labor and throughput calculations for commissioning and steady state operations
- Characterize and validate new equipment and fixtures using metrology data and process control principles
- Define and support the installation of equipment determined in the design process via project management and hands-on contractor management
- Support the hand off of validated equipment to the Operations team
What We're Looking For
- Direct experience leading automation equipment and production process projects through full design lifecycle and implementation
- Direct experience with deployment of automated systems
- Track record of outstanding collaboration with Operations teams
- Experience with statistical process control and many examples of data driven process problem solving
- Experience defining manufacturing system requirements for new production processes
- Education or experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
- 2+ years industry experience in manufacturing engineering, advanced manufacturing engineering, manufacturing system engineering, technical program management or similar
Type of role
What we can offer
Compensation; we’ll pay you a competitive salary, give you a stake in the company via equity and contribute toward your 401K
Health & well-being; we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits, in-office gyms, and an Employee Assistance Program to help with mental health, financial & legal matters
Food; in-office lunches, snacks and access to our leafy greens & new produce in development -- are you up for a side gig as a taste tester?
Grow together; learning & development opportunities including unlimited access to our Upstart University platform, LinkedIn Learning, lunch & learns, training certifications, and more
Equipment; we’ll provide you with the equipment you need to be successful, including $75/month toward your phone bill and $250 every 2 years to upgrade your phone
Paid time off; we know you’ll do your best if you’re taking time to recharge, so we don’t cap the amount of days you can take off per year in addition to the paid holidays we observe
Parental leave; 12 weeks off for all new parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition
Food safety requirements
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations
- All employees must show proof of COVID vaccination before starting work, other than in limited circumstances where the law requires an exception
- Ensure equipment design is of a material suitable for food safety and designed in a way that is smooth and easily cleanable