InnovaFeed is a biotech company that produces natural and sustainable ingredients for animal feed and plant nutrition from insect rearing (Hermetia illucens).
We contribute to the growth of a high-quality fish farming sector by providing a new source of sustainable, natural and high-performance protein. We also produce high-quality insect oil than can be used in poultry and swine feed, as an alternative to imported oils. Our oil is rich in lauric acid, known for its anti-microbial properties. Finally, insect dejections are used as an organic fertilizer, closing the nitrogen loop in a circular way.
InnovaFeeds’ innovating insect rearing process is deployed on an industrial scale to address the strain on natural resources in a responsible and sustainable way.
Leveraging expertise at the forefront of biotech research, our unique model is supported by many key actors in the scientific, political and financial fields.
Do you want to contribute to building a more natural and sustainable food system? Do you want to work for a company that cares about its employees and its social and environmental impact? Our Decatur based company is the affiliate of a French parent company who is a world leader in alternative animal proteins. We breed and process Black Soldier Flies, insects that are used as a new, environmentally friendly ingredient in pet food and as an organic fertilizer.
The success of our project depends on having a team that shares our values and goals. We are looking for candidates who would be available to start as early as December 2023 at our Decatur facility in Illinois. The regular shift would be Monday to Friday 7AM-3:30PM.
If you feel that you share our values and have the skills and experience described here, we’d love to hear from you!
- Operate and control various machinery and equipment in accordance with standard operating procedures. This may include, but is not limited to, assembly machines, conveyor systems, and packaging equipment.
- Be in charge of starting, driving, and adjusting the equipment of the area, via the company's supervision tools.
- Continuously monitor production processes to ensure equipment is functioning correctly and production targets are being met.
- Identify and address any issues that may lead to production delays or quality concerns.
- Participate in the formalization and improvement of our production processes.
- Conduct regular quality checks and inspections on finished products and intermediate components.
- Identify defects or deviations from quality standards and report any issues to supervisors or quality control personnel.
- Carry out checks and samples on the line.
- Perform 1st level maintenance and cleaning of machines and facilities.
- Perform routine maintenance tasks on machinery and equipment as per maintenance schedules. Inform maintenance staff of any abnormalities or potential issues requiring attention.
- Adhere to all safety guidelines, procedures, and regulations while operating machinery and equipment. Report any safety hazards or incidents immediately to supervisors.
- Handle raw materials, intermediate components, and finished products in a safe and organized manner. Use appropriate tools and equipment for material handling tasks.
- Being a fairly small team, there may be times where “all hands on deck” are needed at the factory site which may require conducting tasks outside of the maintenance scope.
To be an effective Operator Technician, you need a combination of technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and personal qualities:
Technical Experience and Problem-Solving Skills: Strong manual dexterity and experience in installing, maintaining and repairing mechanical, electrical, and/or plumbing systems. Ability to troubleshoot and implement effective solutions promptly and accurately. Ability to read and interpret technical drawings, equipment and process manuals, work orders. Proactively look for potential maintenance issues or signs of wear and tear to prevent major breakdowns and repairs. Efficiently prioritize and manage tasks to meet maintenance schedules and minimize downtime.
Personal Qualities: Attention to detail: You’re meticulous in performing tasks and maintain accurate records of maintenance, repairs, inspections and equipment history using the company’s digital maintenance management program.
Be Flexible, a Team Player and a Good Communicator: You can handle a variety of maintenance tasks and challenges, and quickly adjust to changing priorities. You’re a self-starter with a “go getter attitude” who is able to communicate clearly and collaborate effectively with other team members to achieve common goals and maintain a harmonious work environment. You take the initiative to identify potential maintenance improvements or areas of concern and propose solutions to enhance efficiency and reduce maintenance issues. If working in a customer-facing environment, you know how to be courteous and helpful.
Have a Growth Mindset: you consistently learn and thrive to use the latest maintenance techniques, technologies, and industry best practices. You are willing to participate in technical and company policy related training.
The Operator Technician must be able to lift heavy objects (up to 50lbs), climb ladders, steps & stairs, and otherwise perform physically demanding tasks; stand/walk on concrete & uneven surfaces throughout the shift; bend & kneel for tasks; be capable of climbing ladders, steps, & stairs and work in a variety of extreme weather conditions (hot & cold temperatures, humid conditions, & dusty environments).
- Education - High School Diploma or GED (good to have)
- Minimum of 2 years experience in this type of position
- Similar experience in the same role in an agri-food process is a plus.
- Familiarity with industrial machinery operation and basic maintenance procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret technical manuals and diagrams.
- Strong attention to detail and quality-oriented mindset.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Basic computer skills for data recording and equipment control interfaces.
- Knowledge of safety protocols and practices related to industrial settings.
As an Operator Technician, you will contribute to the production of high-quality goods while maintaining a safe and efficient manufacturing environment. Your dedication to precision and adherence to safety protocols will be invaluable in ensuring the success of our industrial operations.
This full-time hourly position has a wage range of $23-25 per hour depending upon experience. Due to the fluidity and nature of this role, working overtime and on-call duty on weekends/holidays may be required in the future. Fair compensation at a regular rate of 1.5x will be ensured for any overtime worked and an appropriate schedule will be coordinated with your first line supervisor.
Paid time off: 20 days of vacation, paid sick leave and paid holidays.
Laptop (if needed)
Drug Testing and Screening
As part of our commitment to maintaining a safe, productive, and drug-free workplace, job offers are conditional upon candidates passing a drug test before finalizing their employment. The test will encompass screenings for illegal drugs and controlled substances.
Innovafeed is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, work authorization status, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, order of protection status, marital status, arrest record, conviction record (unless there is a substantial relationship between the previous criminal offenses and the position or the employment would involve an unreasonable risk to property or to the safety or welfare of specific individuals or the general public), or other protected classes recognized by applicable federal or local law.