Lilium’s vision is to create a sustainable and accessible mode of high-speed, regional transportation.
Using the 7-Seater Lilium Jet, an electric vertical take-off and landing jet, offering leading capacity, low noise and high performance, Lilium is building a transport network and service for people and goods. Working in partnership with world-leading aerospace, technology, and infrastructure partners, commercial operations are set to launch in 2024.
Lilium’s 700+ strong team includes over 400 aerospace engineers and a leadership responsible for delivering some of the most successful aircraft in aviation history. Founded in 2015, Lilium’s headquarters and manufacturing facilities are in Munich, Germany, with teams based across Europe and the U.S.
A career at Lilium is for those who want to do something extraordinary. We take pride in pushing the boundaries of engineering, technology and customer experience.
As part of a team, you will tackle challenges and deliver something that has never been done before. By joining Lilium you will have the opportunity to work with a world-class entrepreneurial team of more than 800 people who are as passionate about changing the world as you are.
You will always act with safety and integrity in mind and embody our core behaviors of efficient and positive collaboration, ownership of time, continuous improvements and, ultimately delivering results.
We thrive on diversity and creating an inclusive culture, with more than 50 nationalities currently working hard to bring our vision of a sustainable world to life.
Your role and your team:
You will report directly to the Head of Mechanical Engineering. The Mechanical Engineering Team is responsible for designing and developing the structural components of our aircraft across the entire life cycle - from concept through detailed design, testing and serial production.
From mechanical or composite parts design through to complex mechanical systems development you'll play a key role in bringing our innovative aircraft to life. This role will have a high-level of system integration requirements, supplier management and you will also lead a small team of highly specialised engineers from a functional and IPT perspective.
As a Lead Engineer within the Propulsion Mounting Structures, you will be part of an interdisciplinary IPT (Integrated Project Team) responsible for the development of our innovative all-electric engines and the flaps they are part of. The flaps are used to propel the aircraft in different flight conditions, based on the concept of thrust vectoring.
Your Day to Day:
- End to end responsible to deliver the equipped flap structure on time, cost, quality and performance
- Design the flap structure in concert with other engineering groups and departments, with attention towards high volume production
- Assist in the development of manufacturing, integration, and test processes and procedures
- Support the system development from concept to production, resolving any design, manufacturing and assembly issues along the way
- Define and manage requirements
- Create certification related documentation
- Support with the planning of the tasks of the team responsible for the flap team
- Check and approval of technical 2D drawings for manufacturing release
- Plan and coordinate the tasks of a small team
- Mentor colleagues to aerospace best practices and methods
- Constantly learn new things – and share them with your team members
- Work on any ad hoc related projects or tasks
- University degree in Aerospace Engineering or Mechanical/Vehicle Engineering (aerospace specialization, MSc/M.Eng preferred)
- Minimum of 7 years of professional experience in the aerospace industry is required
- Proven experience with aerospace composite primary structures is required, both Design and Analysis
- Good knowledge of a CAD system is required (Siemens NX is preferred, basic knowledge of Fibersim is beneficial)
- Advanced knowledge of ISO GPS (alternatively ASME GD&T) and overall good drafting skills are required
- Basic knowledge with PDM/PLM systems (Teamcenter or equivalent) is required
- Strong analytical skills are required
- Proven experience with aerospace composite primary structure is required
- Excellent knowledge and ability to integrate state-of-the-art design and manufacturing methods into product concepts and designs is required
- Proven professional knowledge of aircraft type certification methods is required
- Strong motivation to help build structures and processes is required
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as autonomously is required
- Target-oriented, driven work style with analytic problem-solving skills is required
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment is required
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language is beneficial
Life at Lilium:
You are joining us as we are building our global footprint. While the current COVID-19 restrictions mean that many of us are working remotely, we are still making the most out of this time. Meet fellow colleagues via our culture club sessions and free weekly yoga classes!
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of ethnicity, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.