Archer is an aerospace company building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft focused on improving mobility in cities. The company's mission is to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. Archer is designing, manufacturing, and operating a fully electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150mph while producing minimal noise. Archer's team is based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Archer is an aerospace company based in San Jose, California building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft with a mission to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. We are designing, manufacturing, and operating an all-electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150 mph while producing minimal noise.
Our sights are set high and our problems are hard, and we believe that diversity in the workplace is what makes us smarter, drives better insights, and will ultimately lift us all to success. We are dedicated to cultivating an equitable and inclusive environment that embraces our differences, and supports and celebrates all of our team members.
What you’ll do:
- Lubrication and cooling related fluids and thermal testing for electric engine (motor, gearbox and inverter assemblies) development and certification
- Work closely with the thermal analysis team and mechanical design team, to develop test plans
- Assist with reliability and certification tests on electric engines for Archer’s eVTOL aircraft.
- Document test results in clear reports to assist in certifying Archer’s aircraft.
- Assist in developing the digital testing infrastructure for data storage and analysis
- Assist in failure analysis to determine root cause and drive product development / improvements
- Develop, design, and procure complete testing setups for DO-160 environmental tests and engine design verification tests
- Follow safety procedures for operating with and around high voltage systems
What you need:
- BS / MS / PhD in Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineer or related field with background in fluid mechanics, thermal engineering
- 2-5 years of industrial experience, or research experience, in a laboratory environment with hands on experience with testing and developing test systems and fixtures
- Sound knowledge and understanding of hydraulic / fluid / thermal systems, and the ability to understand and correctly interpret test results to relevant thermal and flow physics
- Experience with scripting in MATLAB / Python, for creating data pipelines, communication between hardware systems, and post processing of test data
- Experience with a wide variety of DAQ systems, and use of equipment / sensors such as pressure transducers, thermocouples, flowmeters, pumps etc.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) with demonstrated experience in technical writing of detailed reports
- Experience working with Dyno test systems is a strong plus
- Previous experience with gear box systems with lubrication / cooling for electric motors or ICE is a strong plus
- Modeling and analysis experience - thermal RC, hydraulic networks is a strong plus
- Experience with high voltage systems: cars, aircraft, etc.
- DO-160 test planning, setup, and execution
- Experience with reliability and statistical analysis for test planning
- Experience using commercial CAD software to design fixtures / test equipment
At Archer we aim to attract, retain, and motivate talent that possess the skills and leadership necessary to grow our business. We drive a pay-for-performance culture and reward performance that supports the Company’s business strategy. For this position we are targeting a base pay between $110,400 - $138,000. Actual compensation offered will be determined by factors such as job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Archer is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with physical or mental disabilities, and those with sincerely held religious beliefs. Applicants who may require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should provide their name and contact information to Archer’s People Team at [email protected]. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Archer is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of merit, qualifications, and business needs. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.