Archer is an aerospace company building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft focused on improving mobility in cities. The company's mission is to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. Archer is designing, manufacturing, and operating a fully electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150mph while producing minimal noise. Archer's team is based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Archer is an aerospace company based in San Jose, California building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft with a mission to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. We are designing, manufacturing, and operating an all-electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150 mph while producing minimal noise.
Our sights are set high and our problems are hard, and we believe that diversity in the workplace is what makes us smarter, drives better insights, and will ultimately lift us all to success. We are dedicated to cultivating an equitable and inclusive environment that embraces our differences, and supports and celebrates all of our team members.
What You’ll Do
- Understand, drive design of, and implement motor controller functionality, behaviors and algorithms.
- Develop, integrate, test and validate motor control algorithms in the lab and on the aircraft
- Maintain awareness of and influence research and development in key component technologies that influence future designs of Archer’s propulsion system (electric engines, inverters, algorithms…)
- Hands-on hardware bring-up, build and component validation for high quality, robust, scalable and functional control system with C/C++ code
- Conduct development and verification for certifiable safety critical components of the aircraft control system
- Work with systems and software engineers to define high-level and low-level control system software requirements in compliance with DO-178C and support the certification of safety critical firmware to comply with DO-178C
What You Need
- BS Degree in Electrical Engineering with 5+ years or MS with 3+ years of experience in related fields
- Expert knowledge of Permanent Magnet Machines Motor Control (including Field Oriented Control, Flux Estimation Methods, Sensorless Motor Control Algorithms) preferably in the 50kW-200kW range.
- System-oriented understanding of thermal, aircraft-level torque control, high voltage DC-link integration, efficiency optimization, and firmware integration for electric drives
- Completed at least one full cycle from paper requirements to working motor control firmware
- Proficiency with C/C++
- Proficiency with model development and data analysis in Matlab/Simulink
- Hands-on experiences with propulsion systems, motor control, power electronics control, robotics, real time control systems or related fields
- Experience with version control (Git) and tools used for CI/CD and validation
- Ability to collaborate and communicate complex technical concepts
At Archer we aim to attract, retain, and motivate talent that possess the skills and leadership necessary to grow our business. We drive a pay-for-performance culture and reward performance that supports the Company’s business strategy. For this position we are targeting a base pay between $180,000 - $225,000. Actual compensation offered will be determined by factors such as job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Archer is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of merit, qualifications, and business needs. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.