Hi. We're Impossible Foods, and we make meat, dairy and fish from plants. Our mission is to make the global food system truly sustainable by eliminating the need to make food from animals. Why? Animal agriculture uses a tremendous amount of the world's natural resources. In 2016, we launched our first product, the Impossible™ Burger. It's delicious, nutritious, and made using but a small fraction of the land, water and energy required to make meat from a cow.
We are seeking a mission-aligned Sr./Scientist, to join the Product Innovation Department - an interdisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, designers, and chefs. You will be working on complex future products and be a technical lead on new material integration while creating prototypes with optimal textures. You are a curious, analytical, collaborative, and creative problem solver that has deep expertise in gums, starches, and proteins.
- Work as part of a team to deliver complex novel plant-based meat products.
- Lead efforts on recreating a variety of animal tissue replicas using plant-based materials.
- Lead efforts to understand the interaction of ingredients and the effect of process parameters in complex food matrices, optimizing the system to deliver against the desired outcome.
- Use meticulous sensory and instrumental assays to guide and validate progress.
- Use outside-the-box exploration: playful exploration and de novo prototyping.
- Present experimental and project data to both the research team and broader audiences.
- Proactively collaborate cross-functionally.
- Mentor research associates on technical approaches and best practices.
- Participate in hands-on prototype creation and experimentation.
- Participate in team tastings.
- Voice ideas, concerns and solutions to teammates.
- Keep a detailed experimental notebook and batch records.
- M.S./Ph.D. in Materials Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Science, or similar field with 1+ year of product innovation experience.
- Proven track record of innovative research and development projects.
- A passion to create delicious plant-based products.
- Strong chemical intuition, knowledge of gums, starches, and proteins, and how to modulate their characteristics with process, synergistic interactions with other materials, and different conditions within a product.
- Strong skills in designing experiments, data analysis, data interpretation, and communication results to both researchers and broader audiences.
- Experience with formulation development.
- Experience mentoring junior researchers.
- Experience in designing and conducting sensory testing is preferred.
- Self-starter that is naturally curious and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to continuously challenge assumptions to seek innovative solutions.
At Impossible Foods, safety is our priority. Our obligation to our employees (and their families and communities) includes providing a fully vaccinated workplace. It is widely recognized that vaccination is by far the safest and most effective tool for protecting ourselves and our community against the spread of Covid-19. For the sake of our employees, their families, and communities, Impossible Foods will require vaccination by February 1, 2022 for all US-based employees who are on-site at one of IF’s facilities or co-manufacturing facilities; are in a position that requires them to be in person with co-workers, customers, clients, or contractors; or are traveling on behalf of the Company, including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
Impossible Foods Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: https://impossiblefoods.com/careers/notice
. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.
If the ability to work remotely is indicated, this role can be performed from any US state except for Alaska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Hawaii, and Wisconsin.