Hi. We're Impossible Foods, and we make meat, dairy and fish from plants. Our mission is to make the global food system truly sustainable by eliminating the need to make food from animals. Why? Animal agriculture uses a tremendous amount of the world's natural resources. In 2016, we launched our first product, the Impossible™ Burger. It's delicious, nutritious, and made using but a small fraction of the land, water and energy required to make meat from a cow.
We are seeking a mission-aligned Sr/Research Associate, to join the Product Innovation Department - an interdisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, designers, and chefs. You will create delicious novel product concepts and design the flavor research that drives the development of innovative flavor systems and integration of those flavor systems into products. You are a curious, analytical, collaborative, and creative problem solver that enjoys building innovations and has experience in flavor research.
- Work as part of a team to deliver complex novel plant-based meat products.
- Be a part of the team that which drives recreating flavor systems with meat identity, flavor integration in formulations, and finding solutions for off-flavors.
- Use analytical approaches to identify and quantify key flavor compounds and reconstruct flavor profiles.
- Use detailed sensory and instrumental assays to guide and validate progress.
- Use outside-the-box exploration: playful exploration and de novo prototyping.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with other R&D teams.
- Assemble prototypes to answer product research objectives.
- Participate in team tastings.
- Design experiments which will answer flavor team objectives.
- Voice ideas, concerns, and solutions to teammates.
- Keep a detailed experimental notebook and batch records.
- B.S./M.S. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Science, or similar field with 1+ year of product innovation experience or analytical lab experience.
- Experience with GCMS (TOF, single quad, FID).
- Experience with analytical methods of sample preparation for analysis.
- Strong chemical intuition and knowledge of flavor chemistry.
- Experience in designing experiments, data analysis, data interpretation, and communication results to fellow researchers
- Experience with innovative research and development projects.
- A passion to create delicious products.
- Experience with formulation development.
- Experience working in a food safe environment.
- Self-starter that is naturally curious and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to continuously challenge assumptions to seek innovative solutions.
At Impossible Foods, safety is our priority. Our obligation to our employees (and their families and communities) includes providing a fully vaccinated workplace. It is widely recognized that vaccination is by far the safest and most effective tool for protecting ourselves and our community against the spread of Covid-19. For the sake of our employees, their families, and communities, Impossible Foods will require vaccination by February 1, 2022 for all US-based employees who are on-site at one of IF’s facilities or co-manufacturing facilities; are in a position that requires them to be in person with co-workers, customers, clients, or contractors; or are traveling on behalf of the Company, including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
Impossible Foods Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: https://impossiblefoods.com/careers/notice
. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.
If the ability to work remotely is indicated, this role can be performed from any US state except for Alaska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Hawaii, and Wisconsin.