The early-stage agricultural technology company based in Chicago is on a mission to reduce food waste. Shippers, growers, and retailers are constantly on the lookout for new ways to ship food further, enter new markets, extend the growing season, and have less food rejected at retail. The products of Hazel Technologies meet these needs by adding significant and measurable value throughout our customers' food supply chains.
Hazel Technologies Inc., founded in 2015, is a USDA-funded company that develops new technologies to improve the quality and extend the shelf life of fresh produce throughout the global supply chain. The early-stage agricultural technology company based in Chicago is on a mission to reduce food waste. Shippers, growers, and retailers are constantly on the lookout for new ways to ship food further, enter new markets, extend the growing season, and have less food rejected at retail. The products of Hazel Technologies meet these needs by adding significant and measurable value throughout our customers' food supply chains.
Hazel Technologies is hiring a new Senior Postharvest Scientist who will be responsible for leading the development and optimization of postharvest technologies and solutions for fresh produce preservation and food waste reduction. This individual will work collaboratively with interdisciplinary teams to ensure the timely delivery of project goals.
Please note, this job is considered an “evergreen” position. Our Talent Acquisition team is opening applications for this position, knowing that the need for Senior Postharvest Scientist changes with project volume. We are curating a pool of excellent candidates for the future. By submitting your resume to this job posting, you acknowledge that it may take longer than expected to hear back from our TA team. Thank you for your interest in joining Hazel Technologies!
- Lead and complete 3 - 5 postharvest related projects at one time that align with company objective independently.
- Independently lead new trial meetings and project efforts with internal stakeholders.
- Generate technical reports with scientifically sound interpretations and provide recommendations on future work.
- Identify and collaborate with strategic partners on technical projects.
- Mentor and train junior scientists, provide guidance and support to research teams.
- Provide technical support to sales and marketing operations. Participate in in-person and online meetings to provide technical support to commercial (sales) team.
- Propose and lead agronomic and postharvest trials for the purpose of technical development of existing products, customer product pilots, new product development, trials for regulatory purposes.
- Identify and resolve complex technical problems associated with postharvest handling and preservation and implement innovative solutions.
- Utilize established theory and knowledge on quality, safety, and shelf life of fresh produce to provide recommendations for trials, consider regional factors, and generate consistent results.
- Deliver results on time and achieve milestones necessary for business objectives.
- Conduct on-site trials at commercial clients’ locations and in the laboratory.
- Independently support customer, potential customers, run trials with trial design and data collection support.
- Effective communicator, share experimental results and provide inputs.
- Participate in continuing education to further developmental capabilities.
- Master’s degree in plant sciences, agricultural sciences, and/or related field with 5+ years of industry experience or PhD degree preferred in Postharvest Science, plant sciences, or related field with 3+ years of industry experience.
- A minimum of three years’ experience with customer communication.
- Strong knowledge and experience in postharvest technologies and solutions, including storage, transportation, and processing.
- Experience in designing and conducting experiments to evaluate postharvest performance.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate with interdisciplinary teams.
- Strong project management skills and ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Detailed oriented and ability to work independently to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills or similar data processing software.
- Demonstrated ability to apply statistical analysis of agronomic trial data.
- Must have or be able to obtain a valid driver’s license at the time of hire.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Spanish strongly preferred.
- Ability to occasionally move items weighing up to 40 pounds across the office for various needs.
- Able to travel up to 50% of the time.
Opportunity can be based remotely in Chicago, IL (headquarters), California. or Washington State.
Salary Range: $125,000 -$145,000
You'll Love Working at Hazel Because
- We've come to transform the food system. You'll be able to make a big contribution to our work at the nexus of technology, farming, and the global food industry - and we're only getting started.
- Our team is motivated by a set of shared values. These keep us on track and remind us how to be present every day in the midst of change and ambiguity. Collaboration, respect, positivity, and humility are all valued, whether in the office, at home, or on the fields, and we strive to empower individuals at every stage.
- Benefits and perks, of course!
Equal Opportunity Employer
Hazel Technologies is an equal opportunity employer. At Hazel, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected]