Hi. We're Impossible Foods, and we make meat, dairy and fish from plants. Our mission is to make the global food system truly sustainable by eliminating the need to make food from animals. Why? Animal agriculture uses a tremendous amount of the world's natural resources. In 2016, we launched our first product, the Impossible™ Burger. It's delicious, nutritious, and made using but a small fraction of the land, water and energy required to make meat from a cow.
We are looking for a creative and mission-aligned Scientist to join the team! Our goal is to understand molecular mechanisms underlying fat flavor chemistry and translate them to create authentic fat flavor experiences in our products. A successful scientist in this position will drive understanding of flavor generation in biological tissues in order to translate the chemistry into plant-based systems. An ideal candidate would have broad experience in chemistry and/or biochemistry, particularly the fractionation, purification and reconstitution of complex lipid systems and the analytical experience necessary to characterize and reconstruct the relevant underlying chemistries of target materials. If you are curious, hardworking and unafraid to push experimentation combined with scientific rigor, join us!
- Efficiently design, execute, and manage experiments to drive identification of molecules and mechanisms underlying the contribution of adipose tissue to meat flavor and aroma
- Develop and guide approaches for biochemical fractionation of animal tissues as well as plant oils to identify and chemically characterize the molecular components and chemical processes that lead to target flavor profiles, using sensory and analytical assays
- Utilize analytical and perceptual tools to understand causative chemistry for flavor outcomes
- Design, execute, and analyze experimentation in a highly dimensional space
- Communicate findings and work with broader flavor research team and other cross-functional R&D teams to synthesize knowledge and find solutions
- Be a champion for thorough science, and proactively educate and learn from others
- PhD degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry or other related fields
- Experience in fractionation and purification of organic compounds is a must
- Experience in lipid chemistry, lipid fractionation and lipid synthesis is a plus
- Experience in analytical chemistry is a plus
- Detailed knowledge of organic chemical reactions and reaction mechanisms
- Experience in fractionation and reconstitution of biochemical systems
- Experience developing complex sample preparation workflows for analytical characterization is desirable
- Experience in applied sensory and perceptual research is a plus
- Extensive experience in lab safety, chemical hazards and toxicity, chemical hygiene, and safe lab practices
- Excellent communication skills to successfully collaborate with and influence scientists with diverse technical backgrounds
- Motivation, humility, curiosity, and eagerness to explore new conceptual areas
- Energy and determination to work in a fast-paced environment on a project critical to the future of our planet
- Passion for our Mission
At Impossible Foods, safety is our priority. Our obligation to our employees (and their families and communities) includes providing a fully vaccinated workplace. It is widely recognized that vaccination is by far the safest and most effective tool for protecting ourselves and our community against the spread of Covid-19. For the sake of our employees, their families, and communities, Impossible Foods will require vaccination by February 1, 2022 for all US-based employees who are on-site at one of IF’s facilities or co-manufacturing facilities; are in a position that requires them to be in person with co-workers, customers, clients, or contractors; or are traveling on behalf of the Company, including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
Impossible Foods Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: https://impossiblefoods.com/careers/notice
. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.
If the ability to work remotely is indicated, this role can be performed from any US state except for Alaska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Hawaii, and Wisconsin.