Archer is an aerospace company building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft focused on improving mobility in cities. The company's mission is to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. Archer is designing, manufacturing, and operating a fully electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150mph while producing minimal noise. Archer's team is based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Archer is an aerospace company based in San Jose, California building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft with a mission to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. We are designing, manufacturing, and operating an all-electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150 mph while producing minimal noise.
Our sights are set high and our problems are hard, and we believe that diversity in the workplace is what makes us smarter, drives better insights, and will ultimately lift us all to success. We are dedicated to cultivating an equitable and inclusive environment that embraces our differences, and supports and celebrates all of our team members.
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for gear design and bearing selection. Study simulation of gear performance (NVH, efficiency, durability, etc.). FEA of gear train components.
- Assess lubrication flow requirements. CAD design, drawing check and release.
- Develop testing cycles to validate design performance.
- Design gears and gear train systems, shafts, bearing systems, tribological features, etc.
- Collaborate with other mechanical, systems, electrical, safety and manufacturing engineers to optimize designs for overall vehicle performance metrics.
- Analyze designs to ensure they meet or exceed requirements using finite commercially available gear design software as well as finite element analysis, thermal analysis, 1D flow simulations, design for assembly, structural calculations, failure mode analysis, etc.
- Develop engineering test plans for designs.
- Solve mechanical design challenges to improve system performance, based on metrics for: mass, efficiency, cost, durability, reliability, ease of assembly, etc.
- Create content and insight for mechanical drawings and work with suppliers to optimize manufacturing processes.
What You Need:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 4 years of mechanical design experience, including experience designing gears, bearings systems, components for complex mechanical systems. Experience with GD&T, design for reliability, and design for manufacturing. Must be skilled in 3D design, MATLAB, and Python. Must have knowledge of product life management systems, including Bill of materials ("BOMs") and engineering change orders.
At Archer we aim to attract, retain, and motivate talent that possess the skills and leadership necessary to grow our business. For this position we are offering $207,000 per year.
Please apply online at: https://www.archer.com/careers. Must put job code (insert SJ2023RM) on resume/CV and cover letter.
Archer is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of merit, qualifications, and business needs. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.