We are Sila—a next generation battery materials company dedicated to accelerating energy transformation for a more sustainable future.
Our next-gen anode material is the first significant chemistry improvement to lithium-ion batteries to reach the market in 30 years. Our silicon anode material is a simple drop-in replacement to graphite and significantly boosts the energy density of lithium-ion batteries without compromising performance.
Today, Sila science powers innovative consumer electronics. Tomorrow, it will fuel our EV future and the electrification of everything.
We work directly with leading consumer electronics and automotive OEMs to help accelerate product roadmaps, and partners with battery manufacturers commercial cell production. Our partners include BMW, Daimler, and ATL.
Sila Nano works directly with leading consumer electronics and automotive OEMs to help accelerate product roadmaps, and partners with battery manufacturers commercial cell production.
Sila Nano’s first products significantly increase the energy density of state-of-the-art lithium-ion batteries. Our materials are manufacturable economically at scale and are drop-in replacements to existing battery manufacturing processes.
Who you are
As the Director of Commercial Contracts on the Legal Team, you will report directly to our General Counsel and lead the commercial contracting team in managing, designing, and negotiating our wide range of legal contracts. You will also work cross-functionally with leaders on other teams to advise and train on legal issues and risks, complex agreement structures, and internal company policies and procedures. In addition to being a skilled communicator and possessing strong attention to detail, you will thrive in this role if you enjoy building collaborative processes and leveraging technology to create efficient systems. You must excel in a high-volume, fast-paced and cross-functional environment.
Responsibilities and duties
- Lead the commercial contracting team in the management, design, and negotiation of our legal contracts, including confidentiality agreements, purchase order terms and conditions, vendor services, consulting, licensing, joint development, government grants, supply agreements, and other commercial and technology-related agreements
- Step into negotiations on high-stakes transactions with sophisticated counterparties, such as industrial manufacturers, equipment vendors, OEMs, material suppliers, universities, and research institutions, both in the US and globally
- Work with leaders across various other teams to advise and train on legal issues and risks, complex agreement structures, and internal company policies and procedures
- Work closely with other members of our legal team and stakeholders within the company to develop, improve, and manage applicable forms, templates, playbooks, trainings, policies, processes and standard operating procedures
- Manage end-to-end legal contracting processes with internal business partners, lead team personnel and resources, and manage outside counsel and legal budgets
- Support and/or lead various cross-functional projects (legal or non-legal)
- Hire, coach, and support talent through consistent feedback, navigation of challenges, and celebration of wins
Knowledge and skill requirements
- JD degree and admitted to practice (preferably in California)
- BS degree in materials science or a related STEM field is a plus
- 10+ years of relevant contract drafting and negotiation experience at a law firm and/or technology company (mix of both is preferred)
- 3+ years of experience leading an in-house contracting team (at an automotive company or a company in the automotive supply chain is a plus)
- Global supply chain and international trade compliance experience is preferred
- Solid understanding of contracting in technology companies, including IP, R&D, and hardware or component supply agreements (experience with batteries, battery components, or the battery supply chain is a plus)
- Experience serving as a strong business partner to C-suite and executives
- Able to integrate legal advice with business acumen and sound judgment
- A collaborative style with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Deep experience with contract management systems and legal operations tools
- Passion for a data-driven approach to building efficient processes and operations