The Ocean Cleanup, a non-profit organization, is developing and scaling technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. Our aim is to put ourselves out of business once the oceans are clean.
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. For this, we need to design, develop, and deploy cleanup systems that extract plastic from our oceans and prevent plastic from entering the ocean via rivers. Working together with government leaders, individuals, and private corporations, our goal is to tackle the 1000 most polluting rivers worldwide.
As part of the Engineering team within the River team, you will work on developing solutions to extract plastic from rivers and monitoring the performance of these systems. This includes gaining a thorough understanding of the plastic pollution problem and the technical solutions that can be used to tackle it.
"We are looking for a person who has a positive mindset, with a getting things done mentality, to deliver successful plastic interception projects around the world. Join our team of creative minds to make an impact on the world.” Bunno Arends – Head of Engineering
As Project Engineer (Junior) within the River team, you will be responsible for, amongst others things:
- Liaising with technology partners in the field of river cleaning solutions
- Designing barrier & plastic extraction solutions for our projects and feeding knowledge from deployments into design improvements
- Working with 3rd parties to perform mooring analysis for our floating solutions and providing concepts & detailed designs of extraction solutions
- Scanning the market for complementary solutions
- Providing engineering advice to the rest of the company
- Bachelor's or Masters Degree in Maritime, Mechanical or Civil Engineering
- At least three years of relevant work experience in the maritime world, preferably in an innovative environment
- A good understanding of the complexity of river systems, mooring configurations, floating equipment, etc.
- Fluent in English, other languages are an advantage
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
- Able to quickly get to the essence of a technical challenge and investigate the most relevant/important aspects to help direct towards a solution
- Performs well in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Curious, creative, and determined to deliver
- Flexible team player
- Strong communication skills
- Willingness to travel abroad
WORK PERMIT NEEDED: