Archer is an aerospace company building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft focused on improving mobility in cities. The company's mission is to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. Archer is designing, manufacturing, and operating a fully electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150mph while producing minimal noise. Archer's team is based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Archer is an aerospace company based in San Jose, California building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft with a mission to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. We are designing, manufacturing, and operating an all-electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150 mph while producing minimal noise.
Our sights are set high and our problems are hard, and we believe that diversity in the workplace is what makes us smarter, drives better insights, and will ultimately lift us all to success. We are dedicated to cultivating an equitable and inclusive environment that embraces our differences, and supports and celebrates all of our team members.
What you’ll do:
- Lead a team of engineers in the design and development of high voltage, high power density motor controllers for eVTOL applications from a technical, strategic, and programmatic perspective
- Work closely with collaborative teams to prepare schedules, budgets, and status updates to the larger team and program
- Drive design optimization analyses and present results / recommendations to the larger cross-functional team
- Responsible for all aspects of inverter power electronics designs required in an all-electric aircraft, from components to circuits, modules and system integration
- Perform design for EMC and support EMC testing and analysis for inverter power electronics
- Lead new designs from concept through production while working with a multidisciplinary team
- Start to finish ownership of the inverter module(s) – from specification to design, prototype, reliability, validation, and manufacturing
- Design electronic power supply and sensing circuits
- Schematic, layout, and PCB assembly design and review
- Design and carry out prototype verification tests for proof of concept
- Analyze test data and reports to determine if the design meets functional and performance specifications.
- Troubleshoot and help root cause any issues that occur in the prototype line.
What you need:
- BS Degree in Electrical Engineering with 8+ years or MS with 5+ years of experience in related fields
- 5+ years experience managing a team of > 5 people
- Sound knowledge and hands-on experience in traditional and modern power electronic technologies including (not limited to):
- Inverter technology for variable speed motor drive (MOSFET, IGBTs, rectifiers, and gate driver PWM technologies).
- Passive power devices, e.g. inductors, capacitors, resistors, and transformers.
- Power electronics system architecture design and hardware integration.
- Motor drive and power converters (AC-DC, DC-DC, DC-AC) control technologies.
- Motor control and commutation methods for various types of three phase motors.
- Sensor technology and implementation
- Gate drive design
- Experience with inverters operating at bus voltages between 400 V - 1000 V & power levels between 5 kW - 200 kW
- Experience in using schematic capture and circuit simulation software
- Experience reviewing PCB layout experience is strongly preferred
- Experience performing and reviewing circuit design analyses such as worst-case circuit analysis, fault analysis, and lifetime estimation
- Master of all types of lab instruments: oscilloscope, EMC analyzers etc.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Prior experience in a technical management of teams of 5 - 10 people
- Hands on experience with DO-160G testing and DO-254 development
- Knowledge of motor control theory
- Ph. D. in power electronics
- Embedded firmware development experience
- Passion for aviation and eVTOLs
At Archer we aim to attract, retain, and motivate talent that possess the skills and leadership necessary to grow our business. We drive a pay-for-performance culture and reward performance that supports the Company’s business strategy. For this position we are targeting a base pay between $163,200 - $204,000. Actual compensation offered will be determined by factors such as job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Archer is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with physical or mental disabilities, and those with sincerely held religious beliefs. Applicants who may require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should provide their name and contact information to Archer’s People Team at [email protected]. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Archer is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of merit, qualifications, and business needs. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.