We are Sila—a next generation battery materials company dedicated to accelerating energy transformation for a more sustainable future.
Our next-gen anode material is the first significant chemistry improvement to lithium-ion batteries to reach the market in 30 years. Our silicon anode material is a simple drop-in replacement to graphite and significantly boosts the energy density of lithium-ion batteries without compromising performance.
Today, Sila science powers innovative consumer electronics. Tomorrow, it will fuel our EV future and the electrification of everything.
We work directly with leading consumer electronics and automotive OEMs to help accelerate product roadmaps, and partners with battery manufacturers commercial cell production. Our partners include BMW, Daimler, and ATL.
Sila Nano works directly with leading consumer electronics and automotive OEMs to help accelerate product roadmaps, and partners with battery manufacturers commercial cell production.
Sila Nano’s first products significantly increase the energy density of state-of-the-art lithium-ion batteries. Our materials are manufacturable economically at scale and are drop-in replacements to existing battery manufacturing processes.
We are Sila, a next-generation battery materials company. Our mission is to power the world’s transition to clean energy. To create this future, our team is building a better lithium-ion battery from the inside out today. We engineer and manufacture ground-breaking battery materials that significantly increase the energy density of batteries, while reducing their size and weight. The result? Smaller more powerful batteries that can unlock innovation in consumer devices and accelerate the mass adoption of electric cars to eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels. We're tackling one of the biggest challenges of our time every day, and together we're redefining what's possible. Are you ready to be a part of a team committed to changing the world?
Who You Are
You are a creative and collaborative integration engineer. You can communicate technical details to diverse audiences, especially in relation to data quality and result interpretation. You are skilled in designing experiments and performing statistical analysis to create process specifications. You are detail oriented and technically savvy, and can manage numerous projects simultaneously while delivering results on time. You are comfortable with ambiguity and eager to create structure. You are passionate about clean energy technology and are excited to be a key contributor to set the standard for the next generation of Li-ion batteries.
Responsibilities and Duties
Cross-functionally collaborate with Process Development, Manufacturing, & Quality teams, to define process specification limits and process capability indices (Cpk).
- Work closely with the Process Development team to establish baseline performance metrics and identify the key levers to drive optimal process reliability, quality and uptime.
- Investigate material characteristics and process/device performance relationships to recommend continual improvement and control strategies
- Establish engineering change management systems to evaluate and mitigate process and product risks.
- Coordinate with Development and Manufacturing teams to schedule and prioritize activities to meet goals.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
BS in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Physics or related science field with 4+ years of relevant process integration experience
- Proficient in experimental design (DOE) for screening, linear model development, and response surface optimization.
- Proficient in six sigma (DMAIC) concepts, statistical process control (SPC), failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA), and structured problem solving methodologies (8D).
- Hands on experience with ramping technology from lab-scale to high volume manufacturing
- Experience with engineering change management during product development lifecycle.
- Working knowledge of analytical techniques such as Brunauer, Emmett, & Teller (BET), thermogravimetric analysis (TGA), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), and particle size distribution (PSD) to characterize materials and products used in lithium ion batteries.
- Clear communicator, collaboratively solves problems and sets others up for success.
- Easy rapport, genuine empathy, and durable composure.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear respiratory protection daily
- Wear personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, a lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, and steel toe safety shoes
- Move items up to 50 lbs with the assistance of lift equipment and carts
- Move long distances (such as from building to building) and be stationary for extended periods of time
- Reach low shelves or items on the floor
- Enter spaces narrower than 3 feet
- Climb stairs or over containment walls
- Precise and repetitive handling of a range of material quantities
Working at Sila
We believe that building a diverse team at Sila helps us amplify our individual talents. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment where good ideas are free to come from anyone. We are proud to celebrate diversity and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law.