Archer is an aerospace company building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft focused on improving mobility in cities. The company's mission is to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. Archer is designing, manufacturing, and operating a fully electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150mph while producing minimal noise. Archer's team is based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Archer is an aerospace company based in San Jose, California building an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft with a mission to advance the benefits of sustainable air mobility. We are designing, manufacturing, and operating an all-electric aircraft that can carry four passengers for 60 miles at speeds of up to 150 mph while producing minimal noise.
Our sights are set high and our problems are hard, and we believe that diversity in the workplace is what makes us smarter, drives better insights, and will ultimately lift us all to success. We are dedicated to cultivating an equitable and inclusive environment that embraces our differences, and supports and celebrates all of our team members.
This position will work cross-functionally with cell engineering along with battery pack design, battery pack test engineering, and battery management systems to identify and close knowledge gaps regarding thermal behavior of the battery cell and its surroundings. The role will be high-visibility and high-impact and will need a candidate with strong fundamentals in engineering, creative thinking and problem solving, along with clear communication skills.
What you’ll do:
- Plan mechanical, thermal, and electrical abuse tests of single and multiple battery cells.
- Interpret test outcomes of the above to identify and close knowledge gaps.
- Work with test engineers and technicians to execute and improve cell, coupon-level, and pack abuse and safety testing.
- Support modeling engineers to parameterize and improve cell and battery thermal modeling.
- Identify and root cause failure modes and mechanisms through an analytical first principles approach.
- Identify and test material properties that govern integrity of the cell and other battery pack components during thermal events.
What you need:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, or similar
- Experience with data acquisition, test engineering, data analysis
- Experience writing test plans or SOPs
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A first-principles problem solving approach
- Familiarity with data analysis tools such as Python, MATLAB, or similar
- Willingness to work hands-on
- Master’s degree in a technical discipline
- Experience with battery cell testing and chemistry
- Experience with materials characterization
- Experience with safety, abuse, or reliability testing
- Experience with DO-160G, DO-311A, UL1642, UN38.3
- Experience with high voltage systems (automotive, aviation, marine, or similar)
At Archer we aim to attract, retain, and motivate talent that possess the skills and leadership necessary to grow our business. We drive a pay-for-performance culture and reward performance that supports the Company’s business strategy. For this position we are targeting a base pay between $134,400 - $168,000. Actual compensation offered will be determined by factors such as job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Archer is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with physical or mental disabilities, and those with sincerely held religious beliefs. Applicants who may require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should provide their name and contact information to Archer’s People Team at [email protected]. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Archer is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity in the workplace. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of merit, qualifications, and business needs. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.